Our First Home Birth ~ Rejoicing Over Logan Thomas

On Thursday, January 20, I was consistently having contractions about 5 minutes apart, so we called our midwives.  Lynn was with clients, so Michelle came.  When she arrived my contractions almost completely stopped - I was 4 cm and 100% effaced, but no real labor.  Michelle went home and said she’d stay on alert.

Mark took the day off and we enjoyed the time together…the last as a family of “four”.  Mark and I went on a dinner date, leaving the two boys with my mom.  I began having small contractions again regularly during dinner.  Yah!  A middle name still had not been decided for Logan so during dinner, Mark finally chose Thomas for his middle name.  I teased that Logan wouldn’t come until he had his name; little did we truly know how soon he would be here.


We spent the remainder of the evening with the boys, playing games and reading books and talking about their “soon-to-be” little brother coming.  Mark went to bed before eleven and I attempted to turn in shortly thereafter.  I just could…not…get comfortable, laying in bed for what seemed like forever!  

I woke him up around midnight, 1/2 past midnight and said, “I think it’s time…maybe…I don’t know.”  {You’d think after two I would know, but that’s a whole other story.}  We timed my contractions and called our midwives again.  About 1:30am we called again them again with an update, in denial considering having them not come.  {I certainly did not want to waste their time or another trip to our home…they were an hour and a half away; did not want a repeat of the morning visit.}  BUT, something nudged me to let Michelle come.  




Shortly, {minutes} after hanging up with Michelle, my contractions really kicked in!  We were both watching the clock now!  Around 2:30am I told Mark that I felt ready…ready to push.  He was encouraging me to wait; he said, “Hang on.  Michelle will be here soon.”  So, here I am thinking, “My water hasn’t broken.  It was a false alarm this yesterday morning.  Maybe, I still have a ways to go.  Oh my, what if I do have a ways to go…”  I keep trying to manage the pain as I sit rocking in-between contractions in the recliner, but I don’t know how long I will be able to do this. 

Close to 2:45am, Michelle arrived and Mark left me to help her bring in her birthing supplies — she said I looked like I had things under control.  In comes the birthing ball…really?  “I don’t think I’m going to need that," I thought.  I remember being a bit irritated that they were talking and carrying in things; I just wanted to deliver this baby.  Well, we went to the bedroom and I told her I thought I was ready.  She took a look and in surprise, said, “Yes, you are.”  I told Mark to through a pallet on the floor {that would be a comforter, by the way}  We had a water bed and I just could NOT imagine giving birth on a sloshy waterbed!  I’ll spare you my thought process on that setting.

I got down on the floor: she told me I could push with my next contraction.  Still wavering on a bit of denial, “But my water hasn’t broken yet.  I haven’t vomited.  Those things have ALWAYS happened before I give birth!”  Contraction…push…water BREAKS!  Two more pushes and welcome to the world Logan!  Mark helped catch him.  My other midwife missed the birth, but was updated by phone.  What a QUICK and wonderful 1st home birth!  Logan nursed right away.  He was very alert and strong {I figured that much from the internal pounding I endured for months}.

I got up shortly after delivery; took a shower…LOVE my shower after birth and Mark made pancakes for breakfast at 5:30am…I was starving!  Breakfast in bed,   Austin and Zach work up at 6:30am and 8:00am to the surprise of meeting their little brother!  I was shocked to find out how big he was; our biggest son to that point.  It was such a blessing to have this as our first home birth experience…and we were so glad I changed my mind and had Michelle come.  Certainly would not want our first home birth to be just Mark and I!



Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity!
Psalm 133:1

Logan Thomas
January 21, 2000
3:12am
8 pounds 2 ounces
21 inches long



{Side note:  Logan made the news in our community, as he was the first birth of the year in our county.  This has a lot to do with the fact that there are no hospitals or birthing centers in our county, so the only births that happen are when they are home.}

2 comments:

Lana said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog...i sort of found you by way of Baker's Dozen Barnhouse ...
I didn't know there were still places in this country that were as sweet as where you are...
I live in Texas, Houston...for now anyway...we hope to move out to a place called Kerrville in the Hill Country of Texas. We are building a home now - just the two of us and are looking forward to being able to leave the city...love that you have been able to do it.
Isn't the Lord good...

Season of Life said...

Hi Lana! Welcome. :) So nice to "meet" you. Sherri has a beautiful blog and a precious family, doesn't she? ;)

God has be gracious to us. When we built in 1995, there were only 3 houses on our entire street! Lots of woods around us, so it certainly felt like we lived in the country with the short drive conveniences of being in the city. NOW, that's not the case...but He has still extended grace with a few empty lots around us, which gives a bit of privacy and we do have great neighbors in our little section.

I am sure we could do much more to maximize our "city" home...all in due season, I guess - but I am blessed by how the Lord always provides creativity to give the children play places, work experiences and life lessons from where He has us planted. :)

Congrats on your new home! How exciting! And in TX, too. I've never been to TX but it surely seems like a great state to "live". ;) Many blessings in your new home and country adventures!

<3 ~ Jarnette

P.S. BTW You make lovely quilts...what a beautiful work of your hands! I hope to visit your blog more and your gifts of warmth and color...and maybe house pics, too? ;)