Menu Board Cards & Recipe Organization

2013...

that He would equip me and mold me into a better wife and mother this year!  I am including several Scriptures that I am meditating on as I seek Him to create in me a servant's heart.

"An excellent wife who can find?  She is far more precious than jewels." 

Proverbs 31:10



With the start of a New Year, comes the desire to "get things in order". 

"She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness" 

Proverbs 31:27

 Menu Board...Making Menu Cards

On New Year's Eve, I compiled a Menu Board, with supplies I had on hand, in an effort to make our meal planning a bit more flexible.  I finished the board on New Year's Eve and began working on transferring all my meals to menu cards to be used with the board.  This took a bit longer, but I finished today...probably spent about 5 hours since New Year's Eve working on them. 

Here are the results with details on the photos of what I did. 




Feel free to contact me if you have questions by leaving a comment and I'll do my best to assist in my reply to you. 

{On a side note, I had a dear friend share the menu board she created yesterday...thanks for sending the photos.  It was such an encouragement to see how yours was specific for your family!}


I have saved my menu cards, which you are welcome to use as you create your Menu Board.  I have 5 color categories:



As you can probably see in the photo above, I used some of the scrap paper I had from making the menu board to create 4 "specialty" cards.  I cut the scrapbook paper to the size of the menu card folded, adhered a cream card stock {cut smaller to allow the paper to form a matte} and then laminated 2 without writing on them.  These will serve to use on days that we have an event or other plans for dinner.  The other two I wrote "Take Out" and "Leftovers" to plug in whenever needed as I plan my menu each week.  The blank ones can be written on with a dry erase pen as needed.


"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens." 

Proverbs 31:15

 

My hope is that using a Menu Board system, meal planning can be done more efficiently and intentionally based on:
  • sales for the week {saving money}, 
  • our schedule, keeping meals simple on busy days {saving time},
  • our pantry {saving money by using what we have},
  • our goals {adding an element of training, by planning meals with children helpers in mind}
  • ministry and hospitality {as needs arise or opportunities afford}.

"She is like the ships of the merchant; she brings her food from afar."  Proverbs 31:14

"She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy."  Proverbs 31:20 

"Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality."  Romans 12:13

Recipe Organization...Making a Recipe Binder

The shift in the way I have done meal planning really began back in November when I sought to FINALLY organize all the recipes I have accumulated over the years.  I had recipes in several different places...a recipe box...a basket filled with cooking magazines, cookbooks and a makeshift recipe notebook...even cut out and kept in a Ziploc bag.  Something needed to be done, so I began my quest.  I had high and lofty goals of creating a "Recipe Scrapbook", all decorative and themed.  However, I am NOT in that season of life, so I began looking for a method that would be more practical, yet organized and eye-appealing.
I stumbled across a Recipe Binder created by Jacinda at Prudent Baby.  I loved the concept and even used the printable binder cover and spine design she made available on her site.  So, here is what I came up with for bringing the paper trail together into one location, protected from splatter and little helpers, too. 

I use the inside pocket to keep recipes I would like to try in the future.  I reserve this notebook for 'tried and true' recipes, which I have either made or have eaten and loved.  Many recipes, I retyped to make the book more uniform and limit the mass amount of recipes written on scrap paper, index cards, cut from magazines, etc.  For the handwritten recipes which I chose not to retype {given to be by friends, my mom, etc.} I stored in photo sleeves.  This kept it personal and blesses me to see the love written out on each card.  For larger print-outs or clippings, I adhered them to colored card stock which allowed me to add more than one recipe in some cases and used front/back of the card stock...keeps the binder from getting too full. 


The following are the dividers created for keeping recipes sorted and easy to find:
  • Appetizers/Snacks
  • Salads/Dressings
  • Soups, Stews & Chili
  • Bread, Muffins & Rolls
  • Entrees {Chicken}
  • Entrees {Beef}
  • Entrees {Pork}
  • Entrees {Pasta}
  • Entrees {Fish}
  • Side Dishes
  • Desserts
  • Beverages
  • Breakfast
  • Hospitality Ideas
  • Cooking Information & Tips
It has been working beautifully for our family.  I would love to know how many of you out there have made your own Recipe Binder and your thoughts.  Leave a comment with what you like most about yours.  If you use a different system for organizing your recipes, do share, so my readers can glean and apply what may work for their families.  We have so much to learn from one another!  I leave you with a prayer:
Lord,
Thank you for your word which is the same yesterday, today and forevermore.  Thank you for the wisdom found in it and the instruction you have given on being a Godly woman.  I am weak Lord and there are so many days I fall short.  As Paul said in Romans, "For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out."  I ask that you would shape me into a Godly wife and mother, daughter and sister.  Give me the ability through your Spirit to do what is right in your eyes.  Lord, give me wisdom in managing my household.  Help me to numbers my days so that I may have a heart of wisdom.  Lord, equip me through your word and the women in my life to be a better mother and example to my children.  Help me teach them to love you and to seek your word for direction and training in their own lives. 
In Your precious name I pray, Lord Jesus...Amen.
Blessings ~
Linked to:

Growing Home
 
 












3 comments:

Make a Joyful Noise all ye Lands said...

Dear Jarnette,
Your menu plan board is perfect for your family. One day as the Lord frees my time I hope to create a board. I am thankful to have this resource my friend.
Your prayer is from the heart and may the Lord continue to reveal all he has for you as you pour life and hope into your family.
May your Home be filled with His presence as you seek to serve, love and glorify Him.
Love,
Virginia

Season of Life said...

VA ~

Thank you for your sweet words, as I know they are a reflection of Him in you. Your home is a picture of His work in your life, showing love, joy and kindness to all who enter.

Thank you for putting feet to serving today, too. The essential oils were given at just the right time, as I was low. God's perfect timing for replenishment ~ much needed right now. The meal was such a blessing this evening! The cookie a special treat with a precious message! The dessert a delight and joy to those that were able to enjoy them.

You are a blessing...your friendship a gift.

Love,

J

P.S. Still only 2 DOWN with fevers, the others doing fine at the moment. The fever children have congestion and/or sore throats now, too. Watching & praying...thanking Him for your prayers and others that are lifting them up.

Meredith said...

I LOVE this idea! I may have to make a trip to the craft store once we move and make these for our family! Thank you!
Thanks, also, for all the encouragement! You are a blessing!

Meredith